About Richmond Community Links

Friday 28 February 2014

What was Mr Motivators' key to success?

Another fantastic week draws to a close, and when I take a moment to look back at what I have been involved in, in some way or another, I do wonder quite how it all fits in! Monday I find myself in St Margarets. I organised an open, public meeting, where the invitation was extended to anyone that had an interest in the area. Nothing contentious to discuss, which is often a strong driver for people to come to public events. I was really pleased to welcome a group of people who turned up simply because they love the area they live in, and would like to contribute in some way, if they can. Oh..well, there might have been
some cynicism that the council was ‘up to something’, but that was laid to rest pretty quickly!

Tuesday I joined the discussion about how the boroughs plans to commemorate World War 1 are going. There is a great opportunity for local people who have family lineage connections with the Great War, as well as sharing stories, education and simply reflecting on the sacrifices that were made.

Mr Motivator was
unavailable for comment
Later in the week I attended the launch of Energy Smart Richmond, the borough initiative which should help residents save energy (and money), and help the borough reduce its carbon footprint. It’s not easy though, and as has been a bit of a recurring theme this week, I ask myself… what will motivate people to do something like this?

When you look at the theories of motivation, of which there are many, there are often two basic questions to address. What will doing X cost me? What will I get out of doing X?

To invite a stranger in to your house, spend time with them, process the paper work, then endure the period when work will be carried out on your house is a fairly big personal cost. But it is only a short term cost. The long term benefits...saving money on energy bills, reducing the carbon footprint, perhaps making a better world for our children’s children ... are supremely worthwhile long term gains. 

However, when it comes to motivation, humans are notoriously bad at giving in to the short term costs/wins. Anyone that has tried giving up smoking, or started a new gym regime will attest to this, I'm sure. If you start to throw in easy reasons for people to not opt-in (Will the installer do a good job? How can I trust them? Etc) then encouraging take up will be tough.

Energy Smart Richmond will be a great scheme though, and the Council’s partners, ClimateEnergy are very aware of some of these challenges. Residents can be involved as beneficiaries, street champions, or installers. This is what excites me about this initiative – it can be very ‘Richmond’ orientated. Local trades people are encouraged to do the work, and can receive training to do the best job, local people are to be recruited as street champions to spread the word to their neighbours. This approach has already been demonstrated with exceptional results in Ham, by the Low Carbon Zone Street Champions. Altogether a more people centred approach, I felt.

As an end note, the Community Links Coordinator is NOT about to update his wardrobe with multi-colour spandex. Just for the record.

No comments:

Post a Comment